A great talk by Andrew Ng (http://www.andrewng.org/) one of the prominent figures in this field.
Well worth the 30 mins if you have the time.
Some key takeaways for me were:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the new electricity in the sense that it will transform every industry it touches.
- Tasks taking less than a second for a human can probably be automated with current technologies or will be automated soon (this includes tasks comprised of simpler tasks chained together).
- The value of a business is in the data not the algorithms; and you don’t need huge amounts of data to get started.
- Architect the organisation to leverage the capabilities offered by new technologies. A tech company that adds machine learning algorithms is no more an AI company than a retail store adding a website makes it an internet company.
- In agile internet era companies, decision making power is pushed down to engineers and product managers.
- Workflows and business processes have to be adapted for the AI era.
- Companies will benefit (i.e. extract more value) from centralised data repositories.